*a typo but I like it
- Grew up in Livermore, California, USA – home of the Lawrence Livermore National Lab where my dad worked. Did my high school FORTRAN homework on a Cray supercomputer normally used for magnetic fusion energy research.
- As a kid, devised a method to score infinite points in Space Invaders on the Atari
- My house growing up was the site of nonstop music/rehearsals – was in a Mozart opera as a fetus. Dad’s a pianist, mom’s a soprano, husband played trumpet, son is a bassist and guitarist and cellist and daughter acts and sings and plays guitar. I play bad guitar and intend to get back into the piano once I get the thing tuned.
- Did all the sports and at one point was running 8 miles a day. Pretty sure I was just really hyper.
- Got a Dual Bachelors from Stanford in Studio Art (painting and drawing and Communication (documentary film). Went overseas to France. Met Mick Jagger there when he came over for a party because somebody invited him
- Started out in film production, painting/dressing sets, making storyboards, supervising script/continuity, assisting with camera/sound/edits, and literally anything else
- Got into graphics and animation and started doing that for real money, flying logos around
- Got into interactive design and development, programming turned out to be really great/terrible for someone who compulsively perfects everything
- Got into information architecture and Web design at Studio Archetype (Clement Mok’s firm), when this whole Internet thing was a total free-for-all but nobody had broadband
- Got into games as head of design for the online division of Electronic Arts, found out the game industry is a whole lot like the film production industry
- Along the way started drawing cartoons – first submission was picked up by King Features for “The New Breed” and it all went from there, to the tune of 2,100 more panels and appearances in The Funny Times, Utne, a Chicken Soup book, and a ton of magazines, sites, and refrigerator doors
- Have inadvertently designed at least one tattoo
- Have written three YA-and-up sci-fi novels and a heavily-illustrated sci-fi serial about people living on a terraformed Neptune
- Have designed a special effect using dry ice, surgical tubing and a squeeze bottle
- Can write upside down and backwards
- Will never, ever get over David Bowie
- Now live with my brainiac husband, two peculiar children, two opinionated and idiosyncratic cats, a mellow but hungry tarantula and enormous deposits of books, CDs and vinyl records